January 27, 2011

Encouragement From Campus-U of Akron students make most of service opportunities

At this time last year, Jenna Buffa had no experience with a paintbrush, hammer or any type of saw — but you should see her now.

She was among the 110 students who helped to rebuild several homes in the Gulf Coast communities of Acadiana and Calcasieu during the University’s alternative spring break in 2010. Since the devastation caused by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005, UA has annually organized a trip for students who want to assist in the region’s relief efforts
.
“I was hesitant to sign up at first, because I knew nothing about construction,” recalls Buffa, a speech language pathology major who will graduate in May. “But I went for it and it turned out to be one of the best things I’ve ever done. I helped rebuild a home for a family, and I learned how lucky I am to have all that I have.”

Click here to read the rest of the story from the U of Akron's official web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment