October 22, 2010

Encouraging Stories-Pastor draws on personal experiences to help others

Rachel Wickstrom’s message of recovery starts with personal experience.

“I used heavily between (ages) 14 and 24,” the co-pastor of Recovery Church said. “I almost died and had a salvation experience right before my 18th birthday.”

Even after that, Wickstrom wasn’t able to finally overcome her drug addiction for several years.

“I didn’t get the concept of recovery and God together,” said Wickstrom, 54. “I tried recovery without God. I used again. I tried God without understanding addiction and recovery, and I used again. So I put the two together. I coupled those together, and now I have long-term sobriety, and it’s worked.”

Wickstrom’s life is devoted to helping other people put the two together.

Click here to read the entire story from the Duluth (MN) News Tribune.

No comments:

Post a Comment