December 30, 2010

Encouraging Scripture-You CAN rule over temptation

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV) from Bible Gateway

With a new year upon us, that mean's it's time for our New Year's Resolutions.  For me, it's finally time to dedicate myself to getting in share with exercise (ugh) and eating healthy (AAARRRGH!).  My body of work in this area has been inconsistent at best.  Eventually I have yielded to temptation and wound up right back where I started, if not worse.  I read the passage from 1 Corinthians and, to be honest, my first reaction in this context is "Yeah, that's easy for Paul to say, he didn't have a Five Guys in the food court in the building he worked at."  For those who don't know, Five Guys is a wonderful burgers and fries establishment.  Ironically, I have to walk right by the gym in our building to get there. This is not a casual fling, I have a long standing love affair with burgers and fries.  I need to buy into this scripture--there is a way of escape!  I encourage you to read this scripture and apply it to whatever is the "burgers and fries" that are holding you back from being all God wants you to be and start a new year moving beyond it with the strength God has promised us.  I'll keep you posted on my journey on my Facebook page--friend me if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment