November 22, 2010

Encouraging Scirpture-God's peace transcends the world's

A critical mistake many of us make it to evaluate the blessings we receive from God through the filter of the world--how do they measure up to what society thinks is worthwhile and valuable.  In today's scripture, Jesus tells us that is doesn't match up because it is so different.  We often think we need a happy marriage, good job, and comfortable wealth to have peace, but that's the world talking, not God.  That's how rich and powerful people can be so miserable and someone with a low-level job can be content.  God's peace is available to everyone, but it's an exclusive offer.  You can't find it anywhere else but through Him.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27 (NIV) from Bible Gateway

1 comment:

  1. So true. Peace is one of God's gifts to us. I like David's night time declaration, "I will lay me down in peace and sleep."

    www.ourshelteringtree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete