November 30, 2010

Encouraging Scripture-Each to his (or her) own gifts

Yesterday I shared my childhood trauma about not being picked for playground teams.  The other side of that story was how different it was when we got back in the classroom.  When it became time to chose up teams for academic competition, I was always one of the first chosen.  The stars of the playing field were the ones who wanted to be on MY team because they recognized my gifts in math, spelling (those have faded a bit over time) etc.  What I understand now is that God planned it that way.  He didn't want me to be a star athlete--instead he gave me gifting that would be used in the classroom and later in the office.  That didn't make me any better or worse than my classmates, I was just made to have a different function.  We all have our gifts and places to use them.  Don't regret giftings you don't have, rejoice in the ones you do.

For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function,  so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us.
Romans 12:4-6a (NIV) from Bible Gateway

No comments:

Post a Comment