November 3, 2010

Encouraging Stories-Colby man writes of youth with disability

Diagnosed with a hearing impairment at age 6, Matthew Ludwick strove for years to conceal his disability as he "just kept trying every day."

The Colby resident now has decided to share his story in the hope of encouraging other individuals struggling with disabilities or young people facing bullying.

"I don't want people calling me, saying 'Man, you've had a really rough life,' " Ludwick said. "I want them to say, 'This has really opened my eyes. This has really helped me understand people with disabilities.' That's the purpose of it."

His first book, "Can you hear what I hear?" was released Sept. 28. Since then, Ludwick -- who coaches middle school and high school sports and works for his church -- has been busy traveling to promote the book and speaking at seminars. Events are planned throughout the United States and Canada, he said.

Faith, he said, is a large part of his story, and he said the project was inspired by God.

"I didn't have anywhere to go," he said. "I was in junior high, and I was dragging bottom. I asked God in my heart ... and Jesus was my best friend."

Click here to read the entire story from the Hays (KS) Daily News.

No comments:

Post a Comment